Table of Contents
Discord is a free to use application that lets you create server for your communities. But do you ever wonder how their company benefits from this or how does Discord earn from giving away free services? This is where Discord Nitro comes in.
Discord Nitro is a premium subscription service that gives users access to various features, including animated emojis, increased file upload limit, improved audio quality, and more. It is a subscription service that unlocks features and perks across Discord, giving you more ways to have fun and express yourself.
Two types of Nitro Subscription
Discord Nitro is a premium subscription service for Discord with two tiers, Nitro and Nitro Classic. Nitro was launched on January 1, 2017. It allows users to have access to additional emotes, avatars, and games.
Discord Nitro Classic
Discord Nitro Classic or Nitro Basic is a cheaper version of Discord Nitro. It was launched on October 23, 2018. It does not include any games or extras. This is the cheaper option.
The benefits of Discord Nitro may not be worth the price for some users, which is why Discord also offers Discord Nitro Basic.
How much does Discord Nitro cost?
Discord Nitro costs $9.99 per month and $99.99 per year. Nitro Classic only costs $4.99 per month and $49.99 a year. You can also get free Nitro from promotions from sponsors like Epic Games.
Nitro vs Nitro Classic vs without Nitro
Discord's most-popular plan, Nitro, unlocks access to all the perks that they offer, including custom emoji and stickers anywhere, HD video streaming, and 2 Server Boosts just to name a few.
All included subscriber perks:
- Custom and animated emoji anywhere: Use any custom emoji from any servers you belong to, anywhere you can use emoji.
- Custom stickers anywhere plus 300 Nitro stickers: Similar to custom emoji, use any custom stickers from any servers you belong to when sending messages. Also get access to our own 300 Discord created stickers featuring known and loved Discord characters.
- Bigger file sharing: Upload files up to 100MB so you can share videos, photos, and more with ease.
- HD Streaming: Share your screen in high resolution for crispy gameplay.
- 2 Boosts + 30% off extra Boosts: You’ll get 2 Server Boosts that you can apply to any servers. Plus, you’ll get 30% off any additional future Boost purchases.
- Profile Upgrades: add an animated avatar, a banner image, a profile theme, and change your Discord Tag #s to personalize how you present yourself.
- Server Profiles: Be who you want in every server by customizing the details in your profile for each server.
- Nitro Badge: An exclusive profile badge that only shows for subscribers.
- Custom Video Background: Upload your own image to show up in your video background, giving you privacy with personality.
- Access to All Activities: Access all currently available Activities, and launch games for anyone to instantly join and play in your server with you.
- Join up to 200 servers: Get double the server space so you can join more communities you love.
- Longer Messages: Say how you really feel with an increased character count limit of 4000 characters.
The Nitro Basic plan includes some of the most-loved Nitro features that help you better express yourself for a fraction of the cost.
Here are the included perks:
- Custom and animated emoji anywhere
- Custom stickers anywhere plus 300 Nitro stickers
- Bigger file sharing (50 MB limit)
- Nitro badge
- Custom video backgrounds
(Tip: You can cancel Nitro subscription anytime so that if you changed your mind, you won't have to pay for the succeeding month.)
Without any Nitro subscription, you can still use the basic functions of the Discord application. You can still join servers, channels, voice chat, stream, etc. You can also join servers that are handled by owners that are Nitro subscribers and enjoy the perks of their server. Either way, Discord still gives importance to all of their users, with or without Nitro.
What is Server Boost?
Server Boosting is a way of making your Discord server stand out among the rest. Upon subscribing to Discord Nitro, you will get two (2) free Server Boost. You can boost any server that you want, may it be yours or a server that you're supporting by clicking on the Server's name and choosing Server Boost.
Here are the full perks with each level of Server Boost.
+50 Emoji Slots (for a total of 100 emojis)
128 Kbps Audio Quality
Go Live streams boosted to 720P 60FPS
Custom Server Invite Background
Animated Server Icon
15 custom sticker slots
3 day archive option from last activity for threads
Everything in Level 1 and…..
+50 Emoji Slots (for a total of 150 emojis)
256 Kbps Audio Quality
Go Live streams boosted to 1080P 60FPS
50MB Upload Limit for all members (server only)
+15 custom sticker slots (for a total of 30)
1 week archive option from last activity for threads
Ability to create private threads
Custom Role Icons
Everything in Level 1 AND Level 2 AND…..
+100 Emoji Slots (for a total of 250 emojis)
384Kbps Audio Quality
100MB Upload Limit for all members (server only)
Custom Invite Link
+30 custom sticker slots (for a total of 60)
How to Subscribe to Nitro?
Step 1. Open your Discord application.
You need to open your Discord account and login onto your account. Go to User Settings at the lower left side of the screen beside your Username.
Step 2. Click on Nitro
Below "Billing Settings" you will see Nitro. Click on it.
Step 3. Choose your Subscription Plan
You will then be prompted for Subscription plants. You can choose between the Subscriptions below. If you have chosen your plan, click on "Subscribe".
Step 4. Choose your Payment
After clicking on Subscribe, you will be asked what type of plan you're choosing. You can either choose Monthly or Yearly plans. After choosing, click on "Select".
Step 5. Payment Method
After selecting your plan, you will be asked to choose your payment method. If you don't have any payment method yet, you will also be asked to fill in the details of your selected payment method.
Step 6. Review your Details
You will be asked to review your details and confirm. After doing this, you're all set. You have subscribed to Discord Nitro!
Is it worth buying Discord Nitro?
Discord Nitro gives users a number of benefits that can be extremely useful, especially for those who use Discord frequently. However, it is ultimately up to the individual to decide whether or not these benefits are worth the cost. For casual Discord users, may it be only to chat or use the application for your in game communication, you might not need this feature at all. If you're just a regular Discord user who doesn't use the platform every day or every week, you don't actually need to upgrade to the Nitro plan. You're better off without any subscription because you probably don't need the other benefits and features like server improvements, higher-quality streaming, and increased file size limitations.
Discord's subscription plans is a good addition to spice up your Discord experience. You can have more perks than the usual community member in server and be unique. Whether or not the price of Discord Nitro is worth it depends on how often you use Discord and how much you value the additional features. Personally, I would subscribe to Nitro to show support to the application if I'm using it on a daily basis and you want to stand out among the rest.
Check more about Discord's Perks and Subscription