Table of Contents
For any RSOD (Red Screen Of Death) issues HPE engineer may demand for serial console dump to debug the RSOD issue.
In this article I will share you the steps to capture serial console dump from iLO4 using Virtual Serial Port (VSP)
Capture Serial Console Dump using VSP
- Adjust the system hardware configuration if necessary to allow it to boot to the System Utilities menu.
- Log into the iLO4 using Web Administration Page.
- Power on the Server from the Remote Console if necessary.
- Press “F9” when prompted during POST to bring up the System Utilities menu.
- Select “System Configuration"
- Next select "BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU)”.
Enabling debug serial output
- Press “CTRL + A” to bring up the “Service Options” menu.
- Select “UEFI Serial Debug Message Level" → "Medium”.
- Press “F10" → "Y” to save.
- Wait for the red box indicating “Change Saved” and press “Enter” to dismiss it.
- Press “ESC” to go back to the previous menu.
Set the virtual serial com port
- At the “BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU)” menu
- Select “System Options" → "Serial Port Options”
- Select “Virtual Serial Port” and then press Enter. Select “COM2” and then press Enter. Note that “COM2” may already be selected.
- Press ESC twice to return to the main menu.
Set the BIOS serial console port COM port
- Select “BIOS Serial Console and EMS”, and then press Enter
- Select “BIOS Serial Console Port”, and then press Enter. Select “Virtual Serial Port”, and then press Enter.
- Press “ESC” to return to the main menu.
- Press “ESC” repeatedly to exit “system utilities”.
- Make sure to respond to prompts asking if you want to save your changes with “Y”.
- When the blue popup window appears asking you to press “Enter” to resume normal boot, press the “Enter” key. You will need to press “Enter” one more time when another popup window appears indicating that the system will be rebooted.
- At this point, go ahead and turn off the server using the “Power Switch" → "Press and Hold” Remote Console dropdown menu. We will leave the server off while setting up the Putty session.
Reinstall any hardware that was removed from the Server.
Configure Putty and Log into iLO with Putty
- Open the Putty software.
- In the “Host Name” text box, type in the IP address of the iLO.
- Make sure “SSH” is selected for “connection type”. This should be the default.
- In the “Category” pane on the left, under the “Session” heading click “Logging”. Make the following selections in this window:
- Under “Session Logging” select “All Session Output”. It is critical that this button be selected, otherwise nothing will be saved.
- Click the “Browse” button next to the “Log File Name” text box.
- Select an appropriate directory on your machine to store the log file, and choose a file name. The file name can have a
- Click the “Save” button once your directory and file names are chosen.
- In the “Category” pane on the left, click the “Terminal” heading.
- Select “Force Off” under the “Local Echo” heading.
- Select “Force Off” under the “Local Line Editing” heading.
- Click the “Open” button at the bottom of the window to start the session with the iLO.
- If a popup window appears informing you that the server’s host key is not cached in the registry, click “YES” to dismiss the window.
- Enter the iLO4 login credentials.
- An “</>hpiLO” prompt should appear. Enter the command “vsp”.
login as: HPadmin HPadmin@10.43.142.123's password: User:HPadmin logged-in to test-server.test(10.43.142.123 / FE80::7210:6FFF:FEC0:1526) iLO 4 Advanced for BladeSystem 2.70 at May 07 2019 Server Name: test-server Server Power: Off </>hpiLO-> vsp Virtual Serial Port Active: COM2 The server is not powered on. The Virtual Serial Port is not available. Starting virtual serial port. Press 'ESC (' to return to the CLI Session.
Now you can "Power ON" your blade and our putty session will capture serial console dump into the logfile as provided in the Putty.
Lastly I hope the steps from the article to capture serial console dump from HPE iLO4 using VSP (with screenshots) was helpful. So, let me know your suggestions and feedback using the comment section.