Table of Contents
The 21st century is the era of multifunctional gadgets. Today, it is difficult to find a person who uses a push-button telephone. Smartphones have long since replaced them. Simultaneously with the appearance of these devices, there has been a crazy demand for mobile developers.
If you are interested in the developer profession, you should carefully read this article. It tells about who a mobile application developer is and what kind of work this specialist is involved in. In addition, it describes the pros and cons of the profession and indicates how to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to work successfully. After studying the material, you will understand what needs to be done in order to start creating an app like duolingo and will be able to outline for yourself specific steps to achieve your goal, more information find at Jatapp. So, try to allocate enough time to review the important information below.
Who Is a Mobile App Developer and What Tasks Does This Specialist Solve?
A mobile app developer is a person involved in creating software for mobile devices. The range of developers' responsibilities is very wide and starts with an idea. The specialist finds an idea, analyzes the developments of competitors, identifies the number of downloads, the pros, and cons of similar applications, etc.
After collecting information, the development stage begins. It takes place in collaboration with mobile application designers. Next comes testing, which allows checking functionality, usability, and other important characteristics. It is also the responsibility of the developer to bring the application to market. But that's not all. If a specialist independently develops a product, then he is also engaged in its promotion.
The roles and tasks of the developer directly depend on the area of his responsibility. Most often, a new application is created according to the technical task from, for example, a project manager. In this case, the developer discusses the terms and progress of work on the project with colleagues, coordinates all stages of creating the application, and adapts it to the necessary platforms.
In some cases, only creative work is required from the developer of a mobile application. Then the idea of a new application comes either from himself or from other employees, but without a clear technical task. This form of cooperation is more complex. The developer here is the main one. He not only creates code but also assigns tasks to colleagues, monitors the quality of their implementation, gives recommendations, conducts testing, etc.
How to Make a Learning App: What Knowledge and Skills Are Needed?
Surely you understand that certain knowledge and skills are required to create apps like duolingo. Here is a short list of basic knowledge and skills of a development specialist, without which he will not be able to work effectively:
- Knowledge of English;
- Knowledge of programming languages depending on the chosen platform (Java, Swift, etc.);
- Basic knowledge of object-oriented programming;
- Understanding the specifics of mobile app design, layout, UX/UI;
- Possession of the tools necessary for the project development (platforms, libraries, frameworks);
- Ability to read and correct code written by other specialists;
- Have skills in debugging and testing applications;
- Understanding the architecture of the application, for example, like duolingo leaderboards down, the ability to harmoniously arrange it;
- Ability to create technical documentation for created applications;
- Understanding the principles of the Apple App Store and Google App Store, the ability to upload applications there.
Pros and Cons of Being a Mobile Application Developer
Among the advantages of the mobile application developer profession, the following can be distinguished:
- A decent level of remuneration. There is a shortage of qualified developers on the market today. This certainly affects the level of wages. The average base salary of a specialist usually ranges from $84,877 to $111,820;
- An interesting and exciting profession. Technologies are rapidly aging, therefore, in order to remain at the top of the skill, a programmer needs to improve, know the latest innovations of the IT industry, and constantly replenish the baggage of knowledge and skills. A constant search for information on forums and specialized sites, analysis of large arrays of information – this is what the developer does every day;
- Career growth prospects. For a good developer, programs are not the ultimate goal. A specialist can develop successfully, mastering the technologies of artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things.
Disadvantages of the profession include demanding customers, large volumes of information, and constant searching, which does not allow you to relax even for a minute. So, if you don't enjoy reading, learning, and analyzing, you shouldn't start software development at all. If you feel enough strength and want to learn how to make your own language app, then read below how to become a successful application developer step by step.
Become a Mobile App Developer and Create Your Own Language App: A Step-by-Step Guide
There are three main steps in becoming a mobile app developer. Each is described below.
The first step in becoming a mobile app developer is getting the right education. Many beginners in mobile development begin to gain knowledge on their own with the help of books and training videos, then enroll in online courses, which usually do not exceed three months. The most popular courses today are the following:
- Computer Science and Mobile Apps Certification (edX);
- Flutter&Dart – The Complete Flutter App Development Course (Udemy);
- Mobile App Development with Swift (edX);
- Developing Android Apps by Google (Udacity);
- Become an Android Mobile App Developer (LinkedIn), etc.
In general, the variety of courses is very wide. You will definitely find the right one for you. However, it is easier to master the profession with higher education. Despite the fact that a mobile application developer is a fairly new profession, there are special programs for mastering it.
The second step that you have to go through is to decide on the choice of platform. You need to choose between two main ones today: Android and iOS. Android specialists usually write code in Java and Kotlin. Knowledge of these languages is a mandatory requirement for mobile app developers. In addition, it is important to navigate the Android SDK system, know the architecture and the Android environment.
To work on the iOS operating system, you need to know Swift and Objective-C. In addition, hardware from Apple is required. Most often, the company provides employees with corporate laptops. But if you want to work as a freelancer, you will have to purchase the hardware yourself. In addition, Apple is a rather closed ecosystem, therefore, working on a MacBook will take some time to get used to.
The third stage in becoming a mobile app developer is finding a job. A mobile app developer can work anywhere. Applications are created to solve a wide range of tasks. Restaurants, delivery services, and any other business industries have a mobile developer on their staff, who not only writes the code for the application but also provides its constant support. You can also work as a freelancer or get a job in an IT company. Thus, the choice of employment and career opportunities is extensive.
So, you need to get trained to become a successful mobile app developer. This is the main requirement. It is also important to decide on the choice of platform for development and find a good job. Go through all these stages and create a language app that will surprise everyone!